Presidential religion test

In the context of Romney's speech in which he says, he would "serve no one religion, no one group, no one cause," I stand in full support of that assertion. I agree the president shouldn't favor one American over another, but all equally. However, when has that ideal ever happened? I really like Huckabee's comment in the same article.

Huckabee, who was a Southern Baptist preacher before entering politics, said that Romney's religion has no bearing on whether he would make a good president.

"It has nothing to do with what faith a person has — it's whether or not that person's life is consistent with how he lives it," Huckabee said Thursday on NBC's "Today." "If I had actions that were completely opposite of my Christian faith, then I would think people would have reason to doubt if this part of my life, which is supposed to be so important, doesn't influence me."

The implied criticism is that how come Mormonism didn't affect Romney when he was pro-choice? So is Romney's faith an inconsistent guide in his life? That question can be asked of all pro-choice Catholic and Mormon politicians (John Kerry and Harry Reid).

I'm glad Romney is pro-life now, but I have to wonder how political that decision is and thus how firm a conviction it is, especially when nominating federal judges if he were president.

See other posts in abortion, politics and Mormonism.

Comments

Popular Posts