The Kings who called evil good

Another Christian wrestles with the appeal of Obama and the abhorrence of his pro-abortion stance. Julie Lyons of the Dallas Observer writes
Is there ever an occasion when a Christian should support a pro-abortion candidate?

Is abortion really that important? Have I become just another one of those single-issue white evangelicals who ignores equally important matters of morality such as racial justice?

Can a candidate be wrong in so many ways and still be right?

No matter how I tried, I couldn’t suppress the questions. Every time I arrived at a semblance of peace about voting for Obama, words from the Bible resounded in my brain. I had been studying the books of I and II Kings, which chronicle the leaders of Israel and Judah in the days of the monarchy as well as the prophets God sent to be their counterbalance. Israel’s concept of kingship was different from any other nation’s; the kings were bound to uphold the covenant God had made with his people, and whenever a crisis of faithfulness to that law or covenant arose, the prophets stepped in on behalf of God to set the king straight. Or at least tried.

A couple things become numbingly clear in the books of Kings. For every king of Israel and Judah, the Scriptures offer a final assessment, and it usually goes like this: “So-and-so did evil in the eyes of the Lord. During his entire reign he did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam son of Nebat, which he had caused Israel to commit.” (The bad kings far outnumbered the good kings.)

She concludes
I, for one, am disappointed with white evangelicals’ apathy about racial justice and could never ally myself with the Republican Party until they take seriously the issues Braden points out, such as equal access to housing and employment for minorities, and one I’ll add: fair treatment in our legal system.
Yet I can’t escape the words of Kings. God will judge a leader by one thing: his faithfulness to God’s Word on matters for which the Christian position is clear.

No, that’s not a fashionable concept these days. It won’t win me many friends in the circles I travel. I do understand that we don’t live in a theocracy; our nation is governed by a constitution. As voters, we deal in a continuum of hope and reality. We don’t get everything we want.

Well, whoever said the world would understand or approve of followers of Jesus Christ?

HT: Get Religion

Comments

Popular Posts