death penalty?

C. Michael Patton, whose blog I enjoy regularly, makes a simplistic apology for Christian support of the death penalty. The argument follows the path of here are the Bible verses that advocate it and here are the verses that tell us we need to obey our government. Fortunately, we are blessed with a government that is supposedly of the people and by the people and for the people. We can seek to change its laws, which we as Christians are trying to do regarding abortion. It is the issue of abortion that made me switch from being a death penalty advocate to an opponent. I believe abortion is murder. It's the murder of the most innocent and the most helpless. However, I do not believe justice would be served by demanding the death penalty for those who abort their babies. Nor do I want that fear of legal consequences from legal abortions to prevent people from supporting its restriction.

Additionally, the death penalty has been used as a racist weapon. Hence I oppose the death penalty for all in the hope that all will come to repentance before the Lord ends their lives.

Comments

Popular Posts