Another letter to a post-modern Christian

In reply to my previous letter another Christian replies to which I answer...

I included the church universal and historical as a guide because we Christians are part of that community and should not shut our ears to them because we are individualistic Americans who abhor the concept of submitting our ideas to the greater community. Also, abortion and homosexuality are easily condemnable from the text of the Bible alone. Our friend complains about the American church wrapping itself in the flag, so am I. It's abhorrent. But if we have acted as salt and light and have influenced the larger political community what is wrong with encouraging that. It's a matter of prioritizing political issues, not which party is more Christian than the other. I voted for Clinton the 1st time because I de-prioritized the human rights of the unborn. But after he came to power he opposed all abortion restrictions, including late term infanticide three times and loosened previous administration restrictions resulting in more babies at risk. I learned a lesson and I'm trying to warn you all to not let history repeat itself. When our friend endorsed Obama I thought to myself, here we go again. Bill Clinton was very exciting when he came on the scene too. George Bush Sr. was tiresome. But Clinton undid so many protections the previous administrations had accomplished for the unborn.

I can't think of any issue more pressing than the loss of 1 million innocent lives every year. The Iraq war has cost the U.S. the baseline number of deaths we experienced in non-engagement years of the Cold War. Greater than 1,000,000 (I was corrected and updated this figure) Iraqi lives were lost as a result of the U.S. army invasion of Iraq, but unfortunately not much worse than how many Hussein killed by his own hand. An immediate withdrawal will likely result in a very bloody civil war that could result in an equal loss of lives that we caused going in. That blood will be on our hands, also. The Iraqi partisans do not discriminate between fighters and families as we see every week.

How you vote does not affect your salvation or my assessment of your salvation. I can call Jeremiah Wright my brother because he claims Jesus as his Savior and he can call me his brother for the same reason, despite our shortcomings and different political priorities.

Wilberforce spent 30 years of his political career fighting for the rights of slaves. The next administration will overlap the 40th year of the fight for the right to life of the unborn. I consider all the Christians who voted against Wilberforce's proposals racist, still Christians, but racist Christians. (BTW, 11th century race relations in the church were much better than today's because it was very interracial, since Italy sat between Africa and Europe.) Those Christians who refuse to prioritize the lives of one million babies a year are, in my opinion, size-ist. Unlike Horton, they don't consider everyone a person no matter how small.

As far as poverty goes as a priority. I agree it's important. But after recently reading a history of life in the Dust Bowl during the Depression, I'm reminded that poverty today doesn't compare to it 80 years ago. The same goes for racism. We have come a long way as a country and still have a ways to go, but we have much further to go in the area of baby rights.

What is more important that one million Americans being killed with saline and vacuumed into pieces or ripped to pieces by forceps or having their skulls crushed because they have an extra chromosome or a cleft palate or are the wrong gender or have the wrong dad or were conceived at the wrong time?

God is good
jpu

Comments

Popular Posts