5 bf runs this week....check

i made a goal for this week to run barefoot every day for 2 miles a day. Monday and Tuesday went well. Wednesday, on the last quarter mile i swept my foot on the ground to rub off something poking into its sole but dragged my big toe on the forward stride. did you know big toe wounds are like head wounds? they bleed alot and are very tender. Wednesday night i wasn't a happy runner, not only did my big toe really hurt but my feet and calves hurt in general. i think they were hurting for the same reason, muscle development. on Thursday i hemmed and hawed. i had many excuses and two band aids on my toe. but my goal was public, to all 11 of you. Guy Muse, the famous M blogger, even commented to encourage me. so i went. the band aid stayed on and the run went really well. i can count on abundant ouchies for the first half mile that disappear within a mile. after a mile and a half my loop is almost done and i usually feel really good. God made endorphins for a reason! today i had a really good excuse. despite the calendar saying it is mid-May and Al Gore telling me the planet is warming up, it is 45 degrees F right now and raining. i brought my cold weather biking gear in. i was in lycra from my ankles to the crown of my head and i stayed warm. starting out was painful. but as in all my previous runs, after that first half mile, the rest of the run was possible. my feet were cold but they did warm up. now my body knows how to do at least this much, barefooted. next week, a little more.

Comments

J. Guy Muse said…
Way to go jpu! If we all had your discipline and perseverance in our spiritual life like you have with your running, we'd have long ago finished the task of making disciples of the nations! :)

Why is it we can run bf through the cold and with pain, and yet find it even harder to spend an hour in prayer? or walk across the street to share the Good News with our neighbor?
John Umland said…
i had similar thoughts on the run. any spiritual discipline i engage in i don't think i'll survive. once i get going though, i'm able to take one more step. and then one more.
in terms of eschatology though, i don't think we'll finish till the Lord is ready to return. i believe it's about his timing and not ours. but i do believe the whole world will hear soon.
for me, the last two questions convict me. i can't do those things alone. but when i do them with someone else, a partner, in community, it is so much easier. an hour in prayer with a few pray-ers flies by like 10 minutes.

i have come to admire the methods of the mormons. they go out in pairs and witness in pairs. i blogged on these guys recently who had 1 month of Spanish training before going out and then immersion among the hispanic neighborhoods of Connecticut. in 2 years these guys are fluent! so one guy is learning and the other guy has learned. very impressive, but i digress. fortunately i do get to share the good news with them.
anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
God is good
jpu
Matt said…
I used to run track/cross country and that was one way I would try to help heal injuries/strengthen different parts of my feet/ankles. The support of shoes does make your running more effecient but it also keeps other parts of your feet from working very much. I would always do this on grass and I found it really helpful. Good luck. And thanks for the link on the most blogged scriptures. I have one coming up about the least blogged scriptures in the next day or two.

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion