10C's #6 Murder, part c

You shall not murder (Exodus 20:13)

Is the taking of life a nuanced and conditional situation? Are there occasions when killing is not sinful? It seems that God recognizes a distinction in Genesis 9:6 Whoever sheds man's blood,
his blood will be shed by man, for God made man in His image. (HCSB) Is this Orwellian double speak? God also commanded complete destruction of different tribes within the Promised Land, without mercy, not even for infants. I understand from the Scripture that the length of our lives has been predetermined. Job complains in chapter 14
1 "Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble. 2 He springs up like a flower and withers away; like a fleeting shadow, he does not endure. 3 Do you fix your eye on such a one? Will you bring him before you for judgment? 4 Who can bring what is pure from the impure? No one! 5 Man's days are determined; you have decreed the number of his months and have set limits he cannot exceed. 6 So look away from him and let him alone, till he has put in his time like a hired man. (NIV)

Perhaps the resolution is the principle of God's inclusion of man as an instrument in the accomplishment of His will. There are abundant capital crimes in the Pentateuch. God is completely able to end the lives of offenders without aid, yet he commanded his people to join in the working of justice. Several times, though, he simply did things independently with plagues or earthquakes or avenging angels. He reminds us that he doesn't need us to accomplish His justice, which is a comfort for victims when the offenders seem to walk away free. Believers also can pursue hope in times of tragedy when young lives are snuffed out seemingly unjustly. God determined the length of their days already. This knowledge prepares us. David writes,

Psalms 39:1-6
1 I said, ";I will guard my ways
so that I may not sin with my tongue;
I will guard my mouth with a muzzle
as long as the wicked are in my presence."; 2 I was speechless and quiet;
I kept silent, even from [speaking] good,
and my pain intensified. 3 My heart grew hot within me;
as I mused, a fire burned.
I spoke with my tongue: 4 "Lord, reveal to me the end of my life
and the number of my days.
Let me know how transitory I am. 5 You, indeed, have made my days short in length,
and my life span as nothing in Your sight.
Yes, every mortal man is only a vapor. Selah 6 Certainly, man walks about like a mere shadow.
Indeed, they frantically rush around in vain,
gathering possessions
without knowing who will get them. (HCSB)


also

Psalms 90:12-17
12 Teach us to number our days carefully
so that we may develop wisdom in our hearts. 13 Lord-how long?
Turn and have compassion on Your servants. 14 Satisfy us in the morning with Your faithful love
so that we may shout with joy and be glad all our days. 15 Make us rejoice for as many days as You have humbled us,
for as many years as we have seen adversity. 16 Let Your work be seen by Your servants,
and Your splendor by their children. 17 Let the favor of the Lord our God be on us;
establish for us the work of our hands-
establish the work of our hands! (HCSB)

I digressed.
Things are clearer for those who lived in Israel 3000 years ago, but what of God's family today? Are there killings allowed for God's children now?
Last week we watched a retelling of a true story called The End of the Spear and its companion documentary, Beyond the Gates of Splendor. Both are about the martyrdoms of missionaries in the jungles of Ecuador in the 1950's. Both were excellent. Both were from the perspective of one of the children of the martyrs, Steve Saint. Elisabeth Elliot also lost her husband in that attack. The tribe was known to be violent and murderous and the men brought guns with them. A key line in the movie in regard to using the weapons is "We are ready for the afterlife and they aren't." The missionaries didn't defend themselves. Their wives ended up moving in with the tribe and making many of them ready for the afterlife, the change in their hearts changed their violent ways. The missionaries demonstrated the principle of Jesus, turning the other cheek. Jesus allowed himself to be unjustly murdered. For the Christian, self-preservation does not seem a justifiable reason for murder.
But what if we are able to protect someone? If I have the means to protect my children from one intent on harming them and that means is deadly force, will my use of that be murder? It's not in the courts of man. But what about the court of God? There is no proof text. Perhaps the pacifist will tell me that my children also have a secure eternity so I shouldn't kill their attacker. Then what if I saw a suicide bomber walking toward a crowded market. If I yelled out, the bomber would detonate and kill many innocents, of whose eternities I have no knowledge. But if I were a trained marksmen with a sniper rifle I could prevent the mass murder and maiming by the explosive-wearing assassin. Is that murder?
The pacifist would answer that no one is innocent. We are all guilty sinners. Also, the bomber is innocent until the bombs are activated. The sniper gives no time for the bomber to repent or the bomb to misfire. It is unjust to convict someone before a crime is committed. However, the courts of man provide for conviction based on intention. No one walks around with bombs strapped to their bodies innocently.
Finally, what if the means of the murderer against innocents is warfare? Can justice be brought by Christians, even if only cogs in a great war machine? Is the Christian shooting in the trenches and more guilty than the Christian making lead bullets or the Christian refining steel that will be used in war instruments or the Christian writing software that controls those instruments or the Christian farmer who feeds that soldier? No Christian is an island. Even conscientious objectors reap the benefits of those who fight on their behalf. Does the outsourcing of killing exonerate the pacifist?
I conclude their is a distinction between murder and killing. I also recognize not all believers agree with this. There is no proof text. Hence I will apply what I studied at work church yesterday, Romans 14, and peacefully disagree with my pacifist siblings and continue to support our soldiers in harm's way on my family's behalf.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion