cinema review: I am David (2003)

I think I came across this film as a recommendation by Netflix. I had never heard of it before. However, it is a Walden film, and I usually like the stuff Walden puts out. Despite the title leaving me with low expectations, or maybe because of that, I was surprised by how good this movie is. It's based on Anne Holme's 1963 children's novel of the same name. Apparently, it was not enjoyed by the professional critics but it did win several awards. It's a piece of fiction about a boy who escapes from a communist work camp in Bulgaria. He carries with him a sealed envelope and is told to find Denmark to deliver the letter. He learns that there are good people in the world, that some people can be trusted. But he also learns that if one only fears wolves in sheeps clothing one will never trust and never smile and never have peace. I enjoyed the use of flashbacks to unveil a mystery. I watched this with my children who also enjoyed the story.



I glimpsed Jesus in this movie, well, Jim Caviezel anyway. He doesn't have much screen time, but he does act as the voice of hope for the child and demonstrates personal sacrifice so that the child will succeed. The main character, well-played by newcomer Ben Tibber, was the representative of all who leave the darkness and come into the light, whether from communism to freedom, slavery to freedom, orphaned to reunited. It's these universal themes that made the story so good in my eyes. I hope others watch this one as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion