Heavenly bodies

First of all I must apologize if you came here looking for p0rn, astronomy pics or serious theology. This is a theological post of the light sort, it was inspired by my recent ride through Walt Disney World's It's a Small World attraction in the Magic Kingdom.

I didn't like the boat ride in 1987 but last week I appreciated it for the air conditioning and a place to sit with my kids for 10 minutes, as opposed to standing in line or walking to Pirates of the Caribbean on a warm humid day.

For those who don't know this ride, it takes you through 7 rooms with dolls dressed up as children in various ethnic dress representing various cultures. As we were guessing what Disney would do with the 7th room, since no one inhabits Antarctica, just visitors there, sure enough we entered a white room, full of child dolls, but everything was pretty normal in the room, except everything was "snow" colored. I joked, this is the continent of heaven. Then I thought, maybe this is a glimpse of heaven.

That means, I'll be a child dressed up like a scientist. I don't know about the dress up part, but maybe our heavenly bodies will be childlike. This episode from the gospels intrigued me more, Matthew 18
1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" 2 And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them 3 and said, "Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 "Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, 6 but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. 

There are regular applications from this passage. One being, Jesus will bring justice to child abusers. The other is he wants us to trust him with child-like faith. But maybe he's letting us know what our physical appearance is like.

One other aspect of this is when Jesus rose from the dead, most people didn't recognize him at first. The two guys on the Emmaus road had no clue. Mary thought he was a gardener. Maybe he looked younger, a lot younger.

Maybe our heavenly body won't be old and saggy if we die old, or hunky like from an Avenger movie, but more soft and big eyed, like a kid or a doll from It's a Small World.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion