Thoughts on Holy Saturday, Day 40, Lent 2013

Today is the last day of waiting, after forty days of preparation. Part of my preparation for Resurrection Day has been reading through the entire Bible. This afternoon I finished Peter's epistles and John's and Jude's as well as John's mind blowing vision at the end of the end, the Apocalypse.
16th century Russian icon of the Descent into ...
16th century Russian icon of the Descent into Hades of Jesus Christ, which is the icon for Holy and Great Saturday. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


Holy Saturday is the quiet, in between time, when Christ is hidden. I think most of my life has felt like Holy Saturday. Sometimes there is tragic pain, that Christ accompanies me in, a Good Friday, and sometimes there is a euphoric encounter with the risen Christ, but a lot of life is melancholic for me. I don't think I'm unusual in living life with a knapsack of pain slung over my shoulder. I've been through the slough of despair, the valley of the shadow of death, and I've been to the mountaintop. Resurrection day reminds me that my life will ultimately end on the mountaintop.

Holy Saturday falls on the Sabbath, when God rested from working on his creation. This day is a time for rest.  I admit, I'm tired of my Lenten fast. I'm starting to cheat on it. I'm eager for the feast tomorrow. I'm also eager for the heavenly feast John describes as the marriage supper of the lamb, when Christ, the groom and the sacrificed lamb, is united with his church, the bride purchased with his blood, in heaven. And this is the day that reminds me to wait. Waiting sucks, but it makes the thing waited for even better. Peter encourages the church in its time of waiting, even today in his second letter.

2 Peter 3:3,4 Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. 4 They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? Ever since our ancestors died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation.”

2 Peter 3:8, 9 But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

Jesus seeks to reconcile with as many as possible. The waiting will make the party even better.

Thanks for joining me on my Bible journey this Lent,

Looking forward to the resurrection,

John
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion