DOMA is a don'a

The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) revealed today their majority opinion on the federal Defense of Marriage Act, signed by President Clinton in 1996. In particular, section 3 of the act prevented homosexual spouses from receiving federal marriage benefits. The SCOTUS found this section violated the 5th Amendment's Due Process clause, which made the law unconstitutional. I support the effect, although I don't understand the legal methodology, see the court's opinion in PDF.

I support this ruling because I'm proudest of my country when it helps minorities. I'm also terribly ashamed of it when it hurts minorities, see yesterday's ruling on the Voting Rights Act.

I believe, and I used to believe differently about this, that wanting my gay neighbors, friends, and co-workers to be treated fairly under the rule of law, to not have any fewer benefits than I do for no crime on their part, aligns with Jesus' Golden Rule. Treating others the way I want to be treated. See Matthew 7:12, Luke 6:31 and Galatians 5:14.


Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion