Mayweather vs. the Christian guy vs. Jeremiah

I'm the only one who saw that fight, and I saw it today while meditating, but failing, and instead wrestling with Jeremiah.

This past weekend the sinful Floyd Mayweather, Jr.,  undefeated boxer, matched up against the devout fighter, Manny Pacquiao, from the Philippines. According to my completely unscientific survey of my christian twitter and facebook feeds, prayers were rising to heaven for the guy on God's side. But he lost. He did tweet a selfie the next day on his way to church though.

Jeremiah was upset about situations like this.
Jeremiah 12:1 You are always righteous, Lord, when I bring a case before you. Yet I would speak with you about your justice: Why does the way of the wicked prosper? Why do all the faithless live at ease? 2 You have planted them, and they have taken root; they grow and bear fruit. You are always on their lips but far from their hearts. 3 Yet you know me, Lord; you see me and test my thoughts about you. Drag them off like sheep to be butchered! Set them apart for the day of slaughter! 4 How long will the land lie parched and the grass in every field be withered? Because those who live in it are wicked, the animals and birds have perished. Moreover, the people are saying, “He will not see what happens to us.”
He is uptight that there is a drought but the wicked Jews who worship idols, the Mayweathers, still seem to be making out alright. In fact, he is praying to God to not only end the drought but to butcher the wicked who are not suffering.

Jeremiah has God's response to this.
Jeremiah 12:7 “I will forsake my house, abandon my inheritance; I will give the one I love into the hands of her enemies. 8 My inheritance has become to me like a lion in the forest. She roars at me; therefore I hate her. 9 Has not my inheritance become to me like a speckled bird of prey that other birds of prey surround and attack? Go and gather all the wild beasts; bring them to devour. 10 Many shepherds will ruin my vineyard and trample down my field; they will turn my pleasant field into a desolate wasteland. 11 It will be made a wasteland, parched and desolate before me; the whole land will be laid waste because there is no one who cares. 12 Over all the barren heights in the desert destroyers will swarm, for the sword of the Lord will devour from one end of the land to the other; no one will be safe. 13 They will sow wheat but reap thorns; they will wear themselves out but gain nothing. They will bear the shame of their harvest because of the Lord’s fierce anger.”
It seems to me that the wicked will eventually be as screwed as the righteous remnant, because God is pissed.
Was God pissed at Manny too? Maybe because he is Catholic, a papist. If not that then he must have some secret sin. But wait, God wasn't finished talking to Jeremiah.
Jeremiah 12:14 This is what the Lord says: “As for all my wicked neighbors who seize the inheritance I gave my people Israel, I will uproot them from their lands and I will uproot the people of Judah from among them. 15 But after I uproot them, I will again have compassion and will bring each of them back to their own inheritance and their own country. 16 And if they learn well the ways of my people and swear by my name, saying, ‘As surely as the Lord lives’—even as they once taught my people to swear by Baal—then they will be established among my people. 17 But if any nation does not listen, I will completely uproot and destroy it,” declares the Lord.
See, the wicked Mayweathers will be screwed longer than the righteous Pacquiaos. I'm not feeling the comfort though. God promises to inflict collective punishment, the good as well as the bad are killed or exiled. The prophet in exile, Ezekiel, says God doesn't do that. The children are not punished for the sins of their parents, Ezekiel 18:19.

Does God change his mind about things like this?
Is God an abusive parent?
Or did weather patterns change and kingdoms rise and fall because that is what happens in history and God had nothing to do with any of those things? Did Jeremiah get God wrong?
When drought kills large animal populations, is that God's action?
California is struggling with a 500 year drought. Instead of repenting, they are building desalinating plants.
During the US Civil War, the Confederate troops, the more orthodox of the armies, regularly had camp revivals and repentant fasts, but God did not let them succeed either.
Judah's King Mannasseh was one of the country's wickedest kings and had one of its most prosperous reigns. Was God not watching? Was he busy? Is that why Jeremiah's fellow citizens decided to supplement their Yahweh worship with idols? The correlation between behavior and consequence is tenuous at best.
Or are the words of the prophets like Jeremiah, not God's words? Are the motives and intentions Jeremiah ascribes to God not really God's?

What if God is like Jesus who cares about loving the outcast and least among us and our neighbors and less about who wins a hundred million dollars?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion