against New Years resolutions

 we talked about this today at work church
I have to admit that I have no fondness for New Year's resolutions. It has been my experience that they have two possibilities. Either I will fail to keep my resolution (perhaps not immediately, but after a time) and will therefore feel shame, or, I will discipline myself to achieve the resolution and feel a sense of pride in the accomplishment. Neither shame nor pride is a healthy state for the soul.

But I have found it only takes a slightly altered attitude towards resolution-making to avoid these ends. Instead of New Year's resolutions I have experimented with crafting a list of prayers for the New Year. Thus, if I do not act in conformity to the prayers I pray--for example, if I pray to stop sinning in a particular way but take no steps to avoid the temptation--the proper response is repentance. If God answers my prayers, the proper response is thanksgiving. Both repentance and thanksgiving are healthy states for the soul...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion