10 C's #4 - Sabbath part d, conclusion

I'm an American. I have the privilege of living in a culture with Judeo-Christian roots. As part of this culture I enjoy a 5 day workweek, 2 day weekends, a few weeks of vacation yearly, sick days, paid holidays, such as July 4th. Having Sunday off was part of European Christian culture. Moreover, many of these labor innovations came in reaction to the oppression of factory life as people moved from an agrarian life and rhythm to the manufacturing life. Manufacturing is not affected by the seasons like farming is and hence there is always more the machines can do if the humans can keep up. Christians pleaded for the need for rhythm, partly as they understood Sabbath, in the lives of the factory workers, resulting in labor law protections. Christians recognize we are made with a rhythm, one given to us and modeled for us by our Creator. Greed opposes Sabbath. But greed destroys. Unrotated crops destroy fields. Fields that aren't rested don't produce. The same is true for animals and people. The same is true for armies.
God gave the children of Israel the command to set apart 1 day a week to remember their Creator and Deliverer who rescued them from slavery. He also threatened the severest punishment for neglecting the command. For the church today though, we are free to disagree with that command, just not wise.
I'm lazy by nature. Physical Sabbath comes easy to me. I don't know if in poverty I'd be tempted to neglect Sabbath. I like being adopted into a family that the Father desires all His children to rest weekly. I'm glad I'm a citizen of a nation that adopted the concept of rest from that Heavenly Kingdom.
Ultimately, the practice of Sabbath is the practice of faith. Sabbath answers the question of the universe's need for me, none thank you. Sabbath answers the question of the source of my provision, thank you Father. Sabbath reveals what sustains us, not my own efforts.
We don't live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. Matthew 4:2/Deuteronomy 8:3
Where is Sabbath found? Not in a day of a week, but in the Saviour of our souls...
28 "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 (HCSB)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion