10 C's #4 Sabbath part e one more thing

I'm not sure I've made the point clear enough on what the 4th Commandment means today. I arrived at this on my bike commute when I asked myself, "Is this a breakable commandment today, and, if so, how did I violate it?"
This is a command to rest, cease and desist in order to remember God. I think my attempts at achieving righteousness based on my works violate this command. For example, in my high school and college days I would try to live very righteously a couple days before praying for something in my favor. In effect, I was trying to put God into my debt. Of course I was neglecting that my righteous acts are as filthy rags in God's eyes. As a parent now I can appreciate God's perspective on my children trying to put me into debt to them.
All my righteousness comes from Jesus.
Romans 5:19 For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.
Galatians 3:11
Clearly no one is justified before God by the law, because, "The righteous will live by faith."
Titus 3:5-7
he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
I violate the Sabbath when I try to please God by my efforts instead of by my faith in Him. I violate the Sabbath when I view my acts as a means to God's blessing rather than a grateful response to His blessing.
The good news is that God offers rest and salvation and my cost was faith. He paid for it all by dying to pay my debt and set me free. God is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion