praying for my enemies

Yesterday, I found out one of my kids got ripped off. I was mad at those scam artists. I was frustrated I wasn't there to protect my kid. I felt a lot of feelings. But I only expressed them in one word.

"Fuckers."

I surprised myself a little bit. Not 10 seconds later Jesus' exhortation to love and bless our enemies comes to mind. I'm now feeling a little guilty, but I'm still mad.

So I prayed.

"Bless those fuckers."

It does not have elegance of the Psalmists who entreat God in the most tender terms to destroy their enemies, but I think it covers the same ground. It was an honest, aspiration prayer. I aspire to be someone who can bless his enemies without feigning a spirituality that denies my emotional state.

I'm sure the grace of Jesus is big enough to cover prayers like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion