Challies excellent reflection

fantastic thoughts such as
And then realize that, as we explored earlier this week in a discussion about total depravity, there is really no difference between you and Haggard or between myself and Haggard. We are all totally depraved with our sin extending to every aspect of our being. There but for the grace of God go I. There but for the grace of God go you. While I would not expect a reporter to approach me if I were to fall into similar sin, I can only imagine the pain of having to sit in front of my children, my wife, and answer questions about whether or not I have had sex with a man or admitting that I purchased illegal drugs. It's horrible. It's terrifying. That could be my wife, wondering how I could do this to her, wondering if she can ever trust me again, wondering if she can ever love me again. Those could be my kids, hearing the lurid details of dad's depravity. Those could be my kids, trying bravely not to cry as they walk into school on Monday morning, knowing that everyone knows, knowing that life will never be the same.
unlike some other bloggers and some commenters, he refuses to distance himself from his brother. read the comments too. they think the problem would be avoided by better theology or better piety or better ecclesiology. some even doubt Haggard's salvation. but the problem is sin. and the solution is Jesus, who died for those sins. the wounded brother, who shot himself, so to speak, has entered himself into the hospital, let's not throw him out and to the wolves to finish him off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion