D.A. Carson Interview on the EC

See Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly . INTERVIEW . D.A. Carson . July 8, 2005 | PBS where many of the concerns I have Carson has, but he is far more charitable than I make any space for here.
some highlights are
"What I want to see in the movement is less focus on emerging as a category and more focus on the Gospel, because otherwise, if the Gospel is merely the assumed thing rather than the thing about which we are passionate, in another half-generation, another generation, the Gospel itself becomes diluted, even denied. The successors and heirs of the current leaders to the movement will be passionate about the things they are passionate about, and they are being stamped now, it seems to me, by whether they are or are not sufficiently emerging, rather than being stamped by whether they are or are not sufficiently faithful to the historic Gospel."

he says what i said in my last post
"I think that the movement itself is likely to split. In fact, in some ways it already has. One of the figures, for example, who was instrumental in starting the movement in the early '90s is Mark Driscoll from the Pacific Northwest. He still is extraordinarily fruitful today in multiplying churches and reaching out to people who are not normally touched by other churches. Hats off to him.

Another segment will continue, more or less, doing what it is now doing -- that is, using the "emerging" label as the banner flag around which various people coalesce. And others could easily hive off, and, quite frankly, become cultic and dislocated from historic confessionalism at all."

regarding Mclaren
" In some ways, his theology reminds me very much of a sort of old-fashioned 1920s liberalism, and eventually, I think, more and more people will see that, unless he himself self-corrects, which is still possible."
and
"Do I think he's saying some dangerous things -- dangerous in the sense that he's diverting people from things that are central to the Gospel, that are nonnegotiable as part of the Gospel -- he's diverting people away from those things? Yes, in that sense, I think he's dangerous."

the interview closes with
"The emphasis on understanding the culture, reaching out to people -- all of those things are hugely important. They have a staying power. They're part of Christian confessionalism, Christian mission, in every generation. And there are many, many, many Christians outside the movement that share exactly that perspective. In that sense, they're not nearly as new or as innovative as they think they are. But the bits that are most distinctive in the so-called emerging church movement are, in my judgment, largely ephemeral, because they have been called forth by certain cultural developments, and as the culture changes, as cultures do change, then those things will shift again. I just can't predict how the shifts will come about, but my guess is that in 50 years, nobody will be talking about the emerging church movement. They will still be talking about the Gospel of Christ."

Comments

Geoff Gordon said…
Thanks. That give me more of the context you are coming from. You are obviously more conversant regarding the issues related to all things emergent. Helpful to get that perspective. I don't go to an emergent church or keep up to speed on the "conversation." I've just happened to have read a few books that I liked and that influenced me. Your point is be influenced by scripture. I'm down with that.

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion