book response: Steve Jobs by Isaacson (2011)

The bestselling biography of Steve Jobs was not high on my reading list but I was lent it and devoured it in a week. Since it wasn't my book and I couldn't write in it, I don't have excerpts, but I have a couple responses.
  • Isaacson is a great writer. I agree with Steve Jobs himself that he was an a-hole, but Isaacson made the life of this a-hole very interesting.
  • Steve Jobs was an a-hole. I'm not disagreeing with his own self-assessment.
  • Steve was an artist with an artist's petulant demeanor.
  • The serious girlfriend in his life before he married concluded he exhibited Narcissistic Personality Disorder. See my earlier blog on that. I think she's right.
  • How could a company succeed with such a self-centered person?
  • How could a company succeed without such a focused person?
  • Notice the two sides of that disorder?
  • He lacked empathy. People who survived and thrived in his employ learned to cope with his insults.
  • He pursued beauty instead of profits. 
  • He saw beauty in simplicity and purity.
  • He hired the best and fired the rest.
  • He was always looking 5 years ahead.
  • He considered various mind-altering methods beneficial
    • Fasting
    • Meditation
    • Zen Buddhism
    • LSD
    • food fetishes
  • His reality distortion field was an effect of his intense focus, but it also hurt him and those around him when he refused to engage reality: his daughters, his initial cancer result, some business decisions
  • I respect those who left the company and all the money because they couldn't work for him. I totally understand. Dignity is priceless.
  • One of his early lieutenants described himself as an "assaholic". I thought I invented that word, but I'm glad others recognize it's value as a word. It is much easier to say than Narcissistic Personality Disorder. (Quote and more info at The Good Men Project.)

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion