book reponse: Political Thought by Hunter Baker (2012)

Crossway has started publishing a promising series, all subtitled "A Student's Guide." This one by Hunter Baker, Political Thought, was briefly intriguing, frustrating, and enticing at the same time. In a short 100 pages it tries to lay the philosophical ground work for the major themes of political thought, order, freedom/liberty, and justice. He quotes Aristotle, Socrates, Plato, Augustine, Aquinas, Locke, Mill, Rousseau, Hobbes, Rawls, Marx, Martin Luther, Martin Luther King, Jr. and the TV show Lost. All this book can do is whet an appetite, which it did for me. I was underlining, writing counter arguments in the thin margins, asking questions out loud, and then suddenly I finished the book.

In the last section of the book, he writes specifically to the Christian student. It felt awkward for me to see him mention "satanic rebellion", which means, unfortunately, this helpful little book may not make it into public libraries. His conservative beliefs were mostly held back until the very end when he was writing to an audience I presume would agree with him.

This book successfully provoked me to seek to learn more about this topic I know so little about.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Plush Duck said…
When studying this topic, I was taught to start with these two questions:

1. What does the writer say is the nature of God?
2. What does the writer say is the nature of man?

After answering those questions, and keeping the answers in mind, move on to other queries about liberty, the legitimacy of authority, how leaders are chosen, etc. Since my major was Political Science (mostly political philosophy), I have a lot of books in my attic if you want to read more.

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion