God is love - a Lenten series 14 Love is generous

Luke 6:37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

Des Moines Register

My wife often reminds me, "You can't figure out other people's money," when I wonder how some people can afford things that I cannot. First of all, I may be guilty of coveting. Second of all, it's none of my business. Third of all, isn't this what Jesus is saying? Not in the sense of physical treasure but spiritual treasure. They might have deep wells of enlightenment I will never know. On the other hand, the wells they have might have been poisoned by religious folk and thus act like people dying of spiritual thirst not out of rebellion to a God of love but in rebellion to a false impression of a spiteful, untrustworthy god. If I knew their story, I might fully agree with their response. Nevertheless, no matter what, God who is love will always be more generous than I.

I will always assume his generosity towards those around me will always be more then I can ever muster on my most spiritual day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion