10C's; number 2, no idols, big blessings, part f

Exodus 20:6 but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. (NASB)

now this is a promise to enjoy! this is in contrast to the punishment of the 3rd and 4th generation of idol worshipers. so now God contrasts the reward/privilege of those who obey him and worship him alone, lovingkindness/covenant faithfulness/steadfast love/mercy to thousands of generations. The NET Bible notes this "mercy" phrase,
Literally “doing loyal love” (עֹשֶׂה חֶסֶד, ’oseh khesed). The noun refers to God’s covenant loyalty, his faithful love to those who belong to him. These are members of the covenant, recipients of grace, the people of God, whom God will preserve and protect from evil and its effects.
I'm cruising through John's gospel right now and chapter 6 is a good place for knowing what God's will is so that this blessing can flow.

40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day
47 Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.
51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh. (ESV)

I'm thinking if I live forever, that's at least a couple thousand generations of love from my Father.
I'm also thinking the children of Israel were hard core idol worshipers but they occupied the promised land for 900 years (1451BC-587BC), left for a 70 year exile, then lived there for another 600 years (535BC-70AD), and left for an 1800 year exile. The first exile had alot to do with rejecting the law of Moses, including the idolatry, see Jeremiah 2, and the 2nd exile had everything to do with rejecting Jesus (Matthew 23:34-39), the only acceptable image of God (Philippians 2:6).
God makes it simple. Do I want to bless my family or curse it? Will i hold onto and worship the false gods in my life, the little household gods in my heart or in my driveway or my refrigerator, and bring misery to my family, or will i embrace the one true God and embrace Him fully, totally to the happiness of my family?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion