Is Snape Judas Iscariot in the Half-blood Prince?

update July 2009. Since the Half Blood Prince came to the theater, I've been getting several hits to this post. Understand this, he isn't. That's what makes Rowling such a great writer.
Original post....
There is a great discussion on whether Snape is actually good or bad at the Hogwarts Professor. Said Professor, John Granger, wrote an essay last year suggesting that Snape's murder of Dumbledore in the Half-blood Prince is an elaborate deception and that they were still in partnership. His latest post is about his reconsideration. I made a suggestion on the story trajectory modeled after the gospels. My comments are waiting moderation approval so they may never appear, hence I'm copying them here...

I don’t claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed, and I also acknowledge that I am out of my league. However, since no one knows the right answer until the DH appears I want to offer a cent or two. These theories on Snape have been very stimulating. In fact, I have treasured the good Snape theory since I read it here last year, in the non-blog format back then. Now that John Granger is reconsidering I am too. If John can, why can’t I?

I don’t know much about alchemy or Machiavelli or Magick or any other sources that Rowling derives ideas from. These are all good trails to pursue, but I thought the greatest betrayal story hasn’t been acknowledged lately in the Snape discussion. What if Snape’s story is inspired by Judas Iscariot? In the beginning of the HBP we see him in council with the enemy, having finally gotten fed up with the ever-forgiving, non-aspiring Messiah, the one who has power to take over but doesn’t. He is also fed up with not being included in the inner-circle of disciples, Peter, James and John.
The permutations can run out pretty far and I won’t do that work here, except that Peter/Harry is being groomed for the next head master job…

So if the Gospel story is the trajectory JKR is following then I understand Dumbledore telling his betrayer to do according to the plan. None of the disciples understood what Jesus meant when he sent off Judas, but Judas did. It is not unlike Christ for Dumbledore to pick someone who he knew would betray him. In DH I expect to see Harry in depression and doubt. I expect to see Dumbledore reappearing to Harry and crew with encouragement. I expect Snape to despair also and kill himself. I expect Harry to triumph over Voldemort, but don’t we all.

Not much new here, I expect, but another plot trajectory to play with some.
God is good
jpu

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
Hello:
Thank you for your blog. I am a practicing Hindu not Christian, however I am a firm believer in the existence of Christ and His message. Much the same as Hinduism (look beyond the multiple images of God- they are aspects of the human condition and personality as well as the power of God- if one explores their meaning) However to me, Vishnu is God.
I am a recent Harry Potter fan and contemplate the characters roles and purposes; Severus is one of my favorites.
While I have thought of Severus as Judas I have also cogitated his role as a mix of Judas, Peter and possibly Michael the fallen angel. For me the wrench is "Slytherins"
are often a generational state of being- Draco is an interesting character- he wants to be like his father but always seems to warn Harry of whats happening.
Unfortunately we do not know what happened to the characters "19 years later" (end of Deathly Hallows) other than they are parents, the speculation is enjoyable.

Namaste and Blessings!
xocco
John Umland said…
thanks for coming by xocco. discussing literature is great fun. thanks for adding to mine.
God is good
jpu

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion