winter biking in November

Connecticut is having a bit of a cold snap, a global-warming-denying cold snap, to put a finer point on it. I don't expect 23F morning rides until February. Yet this morning it was that cold and it may still be below freezing when I ride home. I'm not as dedicated as Jill in Alaska who can ride cold and wet, or the Iditarod race by bike, but I can ride cold. I thought I'd list my gear for these rides.

Cotton/poly t-shirt
2 layer poly long sleeve shirt
zip up fleece
anorak wind breaker

leg tights- spandex
cotton sweat pants

two pair of socks
merrells

double layer gloves

thin balaclava
thin knit cap
helmet
ski goggles

neck sock

Actionbent Recumbent us Jet Stream 2. All the cables on my bike were frozen. Both gear shifters and both brakes needed loosening. In fact, the front shifter refroze towards the end of the ride. On the other hand, I sweat in all these layers. The layers are good for the strong north wind and times when I'm at a standstill. When I'm climbing hills, I'll start to overheat and I'll unzip a little.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion