a Christian model for correction

2:1 So I made up my own mind not to pay you another painful visit. 2:2 For if I make you sad, who would be left to make me glad but the one I caused to be sad? 2:3 And I wrote this very thing to you, so that when I came I would not have sadness from those who ought to make me rejoice, since I am confident in you all that my joy would be yours. 2:4 For out of great distress and anguish of heart I wrote to you with many tears, not to make you sad, but to let you know the love that I have especially for you.
2 Corinthians

As I read Paul's 2nd letter to the church in Corinth this morning, I was taken aback by his compassion for this church that needed so much correction. It stands in sharp contrast to so much Christian bickering on the internet, including what I have contributed. But then, I am a legalist, see previous post, and legalists aren't known for their compassion. Literally, compassion means "to suffer with." I think Paul exemplifies this in his letter. He speaks forcefully in this letter, as in all his letter, but it's a letter of love. As a younger parent, I couldn't understand why my kids beastly behavior would provoke such strong reactions from me. A wise friend told me that the depth of my involvement, my love for them, makes my heart so vulnerable to their choices. Believe me, I speak forcefully and loudly to them, when they bicker and hurt each other. Paul writes like a parent. When they drift it breaks his heart like a wandering adolescent breaks a parent's heart.

I want to speak compassionately, with grace, on the internet. That last part might be the hardest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion