slave, son, friend

"Don't get your car repaired there." Those words carry different weights depending on who utters them. If a stranger tells me this, I might file that away in my memory. If my co-worker tells you this, I might heed it. If my good friend tells me this, I'll trust him. If my brother tells me this, I wouldn't doubt him. If my dad tells me this, I'd want more details. If my boss tells me this, I'd respectfully nod.

Sometimes, when temptation comes my way, I hear the Holy Spirit instruct me. Sometimes I receive it as a slave, and act resentfully, whether I obey or not. Sometimes I receive it as a son, and ask God why and spend a great deal of time whining. But I forget that Jesus calls me his friend, John 15:15. My friend and old college roommate, Geoff, still gets me to do things I would otherwise not consider or try. But if Geoff wants me to try something with him, I usually will give him the benefit of the doubt and join him. I think my choices might be simpler if I understood God in the more complete way that he gives, not just Lord (Master) or Father, but also as Friend.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion