God is love - a Lenten series 9 Love is greater than threats

Matthew 10:28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. 32 So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, 33 but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.

I got arrested when I was 11 years old for trespassing and vandalism. I've written about that before on here. Unsurprisingly, my parents were embarrassed and furious. I didn't get a spanking, but I was grounded for the entire summer and the summer had just started! It was the worst punishment in my eyes. I biked all over town with my friend, who was the youngest in his family and had much more freedom than I did. However, by the next day, I was invited down the street, and I asked my dad and he relented! My summer was saved!

This threat of Jesus petrified me as a young kid, and as an adult. Because I viewed God as worse than my own father, instead of better. Even though Jesus gave this warning about denying him before men, later on in the gospel stories, Peter is forgiven for this very thing after the resurrection! Peter denies knowing Jesus multiple times during the trial, as Jesus foretold he would. Yet, after the resurrection, Jesus sits with him on the beach and restores him. There is no record of Peter even apologizing, just of his being ashamed.

The rule was broken and the threat was negated by Jesus, because love is greater than threats. So who is the one to fear who can destroy soul and body in hell? Not Jesus because his love is greater than fear. As the apostle John writes, "Perfect love casts out fear."

Gerard Seghers: The Denial of Saint Peter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion