great quote from the movie Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010)


I took the family to see The Voyage of the Dawn Treader before Christmas last week and we greatly enjoyed it. The movie had significant differences from the book, but I'm not a purist, so it was fine by me. One part at the end of the movie, which was not in the book, that I enjoyed is a quote from Prince Caspian on the shore of Aslan's country. He longs to cross over to be with his father, who might be in Aslan's country, something Aslan will neither confirm nor deny. But it's an irrevocable choice. The gallant mouse, Reepicheep, decides to go for it, but Caspian muses, and my quote is very loose, I have spent my life fighting for what I don't have instead of enjoying what I do have.

Caspian is speaking of finding his father, but it made me think of the older brother in Jesus' parable of the prodigal son, see Luke 15:11-32. When the prodigal son returned to his father, who celebrated, the older son complained, that he worked so hard for his dad and never got even a goat. The dad told him he had the pleasure of his company and everything of his father's at his disposal. Regardless, it's foolish to not celebrate the return of his brother.

All this to say, it's important to count our blessings and enjoy them and ask God our Father if we lack something.

The movie was great. I come close to tears almost every time Aslan, a type of Jesus, shows up in the films and when I read the stories aloud to my children when they were smaller.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Barry K. Wilde said…
The aim of life is appreciation; there is no sense in not appreciating things; and there is no sense in having more of them if you have less appreciation of them.
Gilbert K. Chesterton
John Umland said…
I have a book of Chesterton quotes coming in for review next week. i'm looking forward to it.
God is good
jpu
Barry K. Wilde said…
Ignatius Press has been undertaking reissuing all his works. They have about 36 volumes by now. At my age I will always be in the shallow end of the pool when reading GKC, although one can pick certain of his genres and concentrate solely on those. Depends what you would like; Apologetics, detective fiction, poetry, whatever...

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion