Advent for the abundant life

Why did God incarnate himself as the baby Jesus?

Jesus says in John's gospel,
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." John 10:10
Jesus continues in this passage, "I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd." v. 16
In Luke's gospel, after a tax collector's life changing encounter with Jesus, he says, referring to himself, "For the Son of Man came to seek out and to save the lost.” Luke 19:10

The abundant life only begins in this one. It continues in the next. Jesus will accomplish his task, either in this life or the next one. What then are we to do who have already begun this abundant life? Tell the good news, not "turn or burn."



1 Peter 2:1-10  But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

Advent is about dawn, when the light breaks into darkness. Judgment has been replaced by mercy.

My hope for universal reconciliation begins now, in this life. I'm like someone who found a great new FroYo place. I'm eager to tell all my friends and neighbors about it. I have no financial interest. I'm just really happy to share the good news of the place. I'm very happy about the Advent of Jesus and the abundant life he brings. So I want all my friends and neighbors to hear this good news.

I was enlightened by this great quote on Twitter yesterday.

"The best way to love someone is not to force them to change, but to help them uncover the best version of themselves."  Raju Bhagwat, Holistic Mission Development in CambodiaProfessional Training Coaching, Anglican Diocese of Singapore.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion