the post-emerging church

This statement is very thought provoking to me,

"To the emerging pastor, the key is to put your worst foot forward as opposed to your best foot. To show weakness and to use yourself as an example of weakness and spiritual neediness is central to the meta-message of the emerging pastor's approach to his place as a role model."

I think, a pastor, a believer shows both feet. One foot is the dirty one, the one that demonstrates that I'm saved by grace. The other foot is the clean one that proves God in his grace is saving me.

This blogger claims that the emerging wine won't fit in the old wineskin. I'll agree, if he views the Christian life as an either/or set of propositions. But the Holy Spirit is the wine in the universal church. Enlightened elitism bothers me. We are one church. We are manna distributors. Some serve in high flying suits and ties establishments, some serve fast food with lots of grease and salt, some only offer it home cooked without professional help, some are heavy on the gravy and offer little meat, some offer steak well-done without even a drop of steak sauce, some add seasoning that is actually poisonous, some offer entertainment with the meal, some think its a crime to distract from the meal. One or the things I like about a transdenominational meeting, like work church or neighborhood fellowship, is all those styles I usually miss out on I get to sample and benefit from.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion