Electra Royal 8i - my latest bike crush
I really like this bike.
Let me tell you why.
- I like the step through. It's not a ladies bike to any chauvinists out there.
- I like the internal hub. I mess up my derailleurs.
- Upright biking posture which takes the pressure off my wrists.
- Mud guards for all weather riding that I do.
- It comes with lights.
- It's less than 1000 bucks.
- It's classically styled.
- It will get me to work in all weather.
- The chain guard keeps the grease off me.
The Townie is a modern interpretation of a hybrid, aluminum “comfort bike”/cruiser design with some Dutch bike-like features. The Electra’s main ergonomic feature and claim to fame is that it is designed with such a relaxed seat tube angle, that riders can place their feet flat on the ground whilst still in the saddle. This makes for a more secure feeling for inexperienced riders when starting or stopping. Great for riding wheelies though not the best hauler.
For those considering a less-expensive, recreational (i.e., you mostly ride in fair weather and rarely haul groceries/cargo/friends) bike with all the benefits of the Shimano Nexus 8-speed and roller brakes, or for those with adaptive needs or new to cycling, the Electra can meet your needs.