the Lord's Prayer: Give to us

i've lived such a comfortable life that i've never had a day where i questioned whether i had enough for today. yet i still pray this line.
first of all, i am confident that all that i have comes from our Father. every few years when layoffs are announced at my company i find solace in knowing that this job is only a means that God uses to make me productive and provide for us. if i'm laid off i know he will continue to provide for us by some other means.
who is "us?" me and my family and the missionaries i send money to every month and a child i sponsor in India and then all those who are helped by the regular offering i make at my church. we are connected. one of the challenges we had in house hunting 10 years ago was that i wanted the mortgage to not interfere with the regular giving we do. Father has provided enough for me to share with the family.
when i pray this i am acknowledging His provision for us. i take no credit. everything i have has been given to us. i am also acknowledging that the prayer is for "us." and our Father may give me not only enough for me but enough for us. Jesus tells us that if we are faithful with a little we will be given more. this principle might sound like a prosperity gospel at first but the "more" is not for "me" it's for "us."
Jesus models a prayer for each other to our Father. I'm not praying just for my need but for my entier family's need, and not just for my wife and children, but also for all the brothers and sisters and children in my Father's family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion