the Lord's Prayer: our daily bread

bread.
enough for today.
our - of us - me and my family and my neighbors/locally, nationally, around the world.

some don't have enough bread to eat. some die of starvation. more don't partake of the bread of life and they die the 2nd death in hell, forever. Jesus references the bread metaphor in John's gospel. In 6:35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst." (ESV)
he continues, 47 "Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. 50 This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”
In 6:56 he says something so offensive it drove away most of the groupies..."Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him."

the overtones and undertones are so numerous, who can count them? manna, literally "what is this," was the daily bread God spread on the ground for the children of Israel to gather up for that day. any kept overnight became infested with maggots and rotted and unfit for any nourishment. they had to get it fresh every morning. daily bread.

eucharist. communion. the Lord's supper. at that supper Jesus broke bread and said, "take eat, this is my body, do this in remembrance of me." (1 Cor. 11:24)

comuning daily with Him, abiding in Him, daily. at that supper, John records Jesus telling them, 15:4 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. 5 I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." abide. dwell. daily. fruitfulness. life. answered prayer. everything or nothing.

Jesus instructs us to pray in this way... Give us this day our daily bread. in Greeklish, the bread of ours for today give to us today.
so few words. so much said. poetry. so short. so profound. so humbling. acknowledging daily my weakness, my dependence, my inadequacy. expecting so much in return. not just bread for my stomach but bread for my soul. when Satan tempted Jesus for 40 days, he told Jesus to turn the rocks into bread to break his fast. for 40 days Jesus had been waiting for the release from starvation and temptation. knowing his Biblical themes he knew 40 days would be the end, but no release had come. in fact, the accuser, the Father of lies came and told him to break the fast and feed himself. Jesus wouldn't. he stood firm on the revelation to the children of Israel who had received manna Matt 4:4 But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
we are more than animals. we need more than food. we need communion. both come from God.

Comments

Joe said…
Wonderful discussion of "bread!"

As God has shared the Bread of Life with us, so ought we to share Him with others.
Good thoughts. The connection of "Give us this day" to Jesus as the bread we most truly need really stuck out to me, too; most of my "Give Us" chapter is centered on that theme. < http://www.littledozen.com/exgiveus.html > I really saw the magnificent unselfishness of God in it all: keeping us daily dependent on Him for all things because we NEED Him most.

"Greeklish" is a great word. I have a linear New Testament and I love the rhythms in the English translation.

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion