The Lord's Prayer: into trial

Trial? the Greek word is PEIRASMON. It's the word used in James 1:2 and 1:12.
Old man Strong defines it as, a putting to proof (by experiment (of good), experience (of evil), solicitation, discipline or provocation); by implication, adversity
another old man, Thayer, writes more:
  1. an experiment, attempt, trial, proving
    1. trial, proving: the trial made of you by my bodily condition, since condition served as to test the love of the Galatians toward Paul (Gal. 4:
    1. the trial of man's fidelity, integrity, virtue, constancy
      1. an enticement to sin, temptation, whether arising from the desires or from the outward circumstances
      2. an internal temptation to sin 1b
    2. of the temptation by which the devil sought to divert Jesus the Messiah from his divine errand
      1. of the condition of things, or a mental state, by which we are enticed to sin, or to a lapse from the faith and holiness
      2. adversity, affliction, trouble: sent by God and serving to test or prove one's character, faith, holiness
    3. temptation (i.e. trial) of God by men
      1. rebellion against God, by which his power and justice are, as it were, put to the proof and challenged to show themselves
The NLT footnotes, And keep us from being tested. But most translators use temptation, perhaps with the following plea for deliverance from the evil. This prayer never stops exalting our Father and acknowledging our weakness and frailty and dependence. It is so contra-testosterone to ask for a pass. But its also a taste of heaven. Jesus has already instructed us to let his heavenly kingdom and heavenly will come to earth.
Who desires a trial like Job's? Who desires the temptation of Christ? Even Jesus, in the garden before his betrayal, asked our Father for a pass. If Jesus can ask for a pass, who am I to claim more strength than him? I can't even resist coffee cake out in the hallway at work. I think it was C.S. Lewis who pointed out that only Jesus resisted every temptation in his life and we don't know the struggle until we resist our fleshly desires.
While pondering these words I ended up at the 23rd Psalm.

The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.
He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He renews my life;
He leads me along the right paths for His name's sake.
Even when I go through the darkest valley,
I fear [no] danger,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff -they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
as long as I live. (HCSB)

I want to be lead along the right paths to the green pastures and quiet waters. But sometimes i'm in the darkest valleys due to sin, my own and others, or death and disaster, the world still turns, but i have The Comforter, the Holy Spirit, who is with me, who i know will provide a banquet for us, a huge wedding reception, where i will celebrate and dwell eternally.

Comments

"If Jesus can ask for a pass, who am I to claim more strength than him? I can't even resist coffee cake out in the hallway at work."

Ha! That's great :). To be honest, I pray for passes a lot... I love the blessings of God more than the trials.

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion