how many degrees of separation...

How many degrees of separation make a prayer request invalid? As a Christian who struggles with consistent prayer, perhaps I'm only making excuses for neglecting certain prayer requests. I'm specifically thinking of those that come through the various e-mail prayer chains that I'm belong too. Prayer chains are good in that they remind us slackers to pray. But I have motivational issues with too many degrees of separation. Does the co-worker's uncle's friend even know or care that I'm praying for them? Ah, is it all about me even? But I had an epiphany at Bible study during work, AKA work-church, today as we read Mark 6.
54 As soon as they got out of the boat, people recognized Jesus. 55 They ran throughout that whole region and carried the sick on mats to wherever they heard he was. 56 And wherever he went--into villages, towns or countryside--they placed the sick in the marketplaces. They begged him to let them touch even the edge of his cloak, and all who touched him were healed. (NIV)
Jesus's healing power went out somewhat indiscriminately. Crowds and Jesus and healing. Who am I to be a gatekeeper to the throne? All appeals to God for others seem to be very mature appeals now because they are not selfish appeals. So now I'm more like the village idiot before the throne.

Other thoughts on micro-church, church, the Bible and prayer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion