BHM: Necessary and Compelling Reasons to Celebrate It

Victor Lana journals onBlack History Month: Necessary and Compelling Reasons to Celebrate It. I noticed that my BHM entries don't link to blogs but to static sites. That tells me that none of the blogs i normally peruse care about BHM. So i used google's blog search. it seems most bloggers are talking about the point of BHM and the history. another depressing thing for me is that most of the blogs that looked interesting were by white people. alot of blogs were anti-BHM too. i like what Victor writes, "I can expect that some of the same people (crying over not enough hullabaloo over Columbus Day, St. Patrick’s Day, or even Arbor Day) who were annoyed about Dr. King’s day will be livid about this month long celebration. I can hear the questions: “Why do we have a Black History Month? What about Polish history? Danish history? Greek history?”

The answer, gentle readers, is very obvious. None of these other nationalities were ever brought to this country as slaves. After being captured in their native Africa, blacks were chained in the bottom of boats and brought here as a commodity. They were bought and sold with no regard for separating them from families or friends. These people were then forced into arduous service, unmercifully treated, and made to feel as if they were not any better than the master’s horse or plow. Their children were not educated, for the masters knew this would lead to revolt, and oftentimes were purposely taken away from their parents and sold as a way to break the spirit...I think all parents should discuss their heritage with their children, but it is imperative to also focus on people different than ourselves. It is absurd to think about establishing a “White History Month” simply because for most of our lifetimes, that was the only history being taught every month of the school year. The truth is that black history was hardly recognized let alone taught in a serious manner. Establishing February as Black History Month was a way to get school children to learn about the amazing black Americans who have done so much for their country and its culture: George Washington Carver, Fredrick Douglas, Harriet Tubman, Dred Scott, Dr. Charles Drew, Louis Armstrong, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Ralph Bunche, Thurgood Marshall, Maya Angelou, Oprah Winfrey, Sidney Poitier, Paul Robeson, Rosa Parks, Arthur Ashe, Henry (Hank) Aaron, and so many, many more."

i got my inspiration when i was sick last month. i was stuck on the couch trying with nothing to read except for a book i didn't like after the first 100 pages. but the next 50 or so captured me. so despite 1 dimensional characters and over the top plot lines and poor dialogue, an enthralling story line held me. Dominion, by Randy Alcorn, a white guy, is about, " Clarence Abernathy, an Oregon columnist and suburban middle-class black, is dragged into a world of inner-city gangs, drugs, violence and racial conflict. Clarence's anger at injustices he cannot control pulls him onto turf that becomes more dangerous by the moment. Encouraged by fellow columnist Jake Woods, Clarence forges an unlikely partnership with Ollie Chandler, a white homicide detective. As the case unfolds questions of racial prejudice and misunderstanding rise to the surface. As unseen eyes watch from above, the urban terror that has robbed Clarence of loved ones and uprooted his faith in God now threatens to unleash its deadly violence on him."

Alcorn tells us, "When I was asked by Christian Book Distributers to explain why I wrote this book, I said, "Jesus told parables, because truths we miss or resist in nonfiction penetrate us when they emerge from a story. As I researched this novel, I heard many powerful stories from professional football superstars, inner-city pastors, gang members, homicide detectives and countless others. As I wove together Dominion's story-line, I asked God to make it an engaging mystery with an eternal impact. Researching and writing this book changed my life. I hope and pray that reading it changes yours."

i can say the book had an impact on me.

Alcorn continues, "I spent a lot of time with black men and women in the background research for Dominion, relying heavily on their personal accounts and paying particular attention to the recurring stories-e.g. nearly every black man would independently tell me stories about elevators, stop lights, being followed by mall security and so on. So I integrated such stories into the book. I also read a large number, at least sixty, books by and about African Americans. I asked God to give me insight, as it was way beyond me as a suburban white to write with a black viewpoint character. Very difficult, but very rewarding-hope I never forget what I learned.

* More than Equals, Spencer Perkins & Chris Rice
* Breaking Down Walls, Washington & Kehrein
* Resurrecting Hope, John Perkins
* Real Hope in Chicago, Gordon
* Free at Last? Ellis
* Black Man's Religion, Usry & Keener
* He's My Brother, Perkins & Tarrants
* Let's Get to Know Each Other, Dr. Tony Evans"

his scenes in heaven were the most captivating for me. he does a great job portraying heaven. and his scenes of quiet discrimination and soliloquies on black american accomplishments got me realizing i know so little. hence, i'm committed to blogging on BHM this month as an attempt to overcome my ignorance.

Comments

Geoff Gordon said…
Jah,
thanks for your work promoting black history month. keep it up.

Geoff

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion