Why does Huck support the confederate flag in SC?

Here's one article, and a quote

"Governor Huckabee understands that all the average guy with a Confederate flag on his pickup truck is saying is he's proud to be a Southerner," the ad states. "Mike Huckabee understands we value our heritage and why."

The flag, long seen as a symbol of racism by some and as an emblem of Southern pride by others, once flew atop the Capitol in South Carolina. A 2000 compromise removed it from the dome, though it remains on the Statehouse grounds and flies next to a Confederate soldier memorial.

Campaigning in South Carolina on Thursday, Huckabee said the government should stay out of disputes over the Confederate flag.

"You don't like people from outside the state coming in and telling you what to do with your flag," Huckabee told supporters in Myrtle Beach, S.C. "In fact, if somebody came to Arkansas and told us what to do with our flag, we'd tell 'em what to do with the pole, that's what we'd do."

Similar story at CNN. Does he support a Nazi flag flown by German Americans who are proud of their heritage? Whatever good each culture produced, it's impossible to ignore the atrocities committed under those flags too. I wish Huckabee would repent of such idiotic pandering.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm not a supporter of Huck [I like Ron Paul], and I don't know whqat he said exactly on this issue. But I do have a hard time with people, even a state gov. not being allowed to fly a certain flag. I do not support the confederacy or slavery of course. I just want to live in a free country. And I'm not a big fan of hate crime laws etc... Being of German background I would never fly a Nazi flag, in fact I've never seen one flown except on tv, and I live in a highly German area. My grandmother grew up in Milwaukee in the early 1900's and only spoke German until she went to school. The newspapers and the National anthem were all in German. All that stopped and was outlawed after the US made the mistake of getting involved in the trenches of WWI. German language papers were banned and the German speaking population was under govt. scrutiny. My grandmeother was ashamed and embarrassed by the Nazi movement. Germans will always be defined by that horrific evil. But I would rather live in a country that had the freedom to express themselves no matter how hateful their cause. That freedom is diminishing rapidly in Western Europe and Canada and the hate/thought crimes mentality will likely take root here, especially in re: to sexual issues. Christianity is slowly being criminalized in our culture and I'm sure, with the attacks on religious freedom, churches and pastors who are Biblically oriented will be fined and jailed in the future. Maybe this will shake US Christgianity out of its complaceny and addiction to comfort. I apologize for the rambling thoughts.

Dan

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion