ten commandments: a series

if you are a Christian blogger who doesn't preach for a living, then when you write something theologically oriented, you'll pick the low-hanging fruit. the stuff within reach. the stuff you can write up in 10-20 minutes. something like the Lord's Prayer. or the ten commandments. i'm i'm running or biking, i'm usually thinking, watch out for that truck/rusty nail/ skunk and occasionally i'll think on spiritual things. today on my run i started thinking about the 10 commandments. i thought on its bifurcation as the upward things and the outward things, how we relate to God and how we relate to each other. but on my run i thought, maybe it's really all about how we relate to God.
DUH!
but it was enlightening for me. i think God was showing me something. but he wasn't showing me everything, so i'm thinking of blogging through the 10 commandments as a way to pursue these thoughts.

Exodus 20 (NLT)

1 Then God instructed the people as follows: 2 "I am the LORD your God, who rescued you from slavery in Egypt. 3 "Do not worship any other gods besides me. 4 "Do not make idols of any kind, whether in the shape of birds or animals or fish. 5 You must never worship or bow down to them, for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God who will not share your affection with any other god! I do not leave unpunished the sins of those who hate me, but I punish the children for the sins of their parents to the third and fourth generations. 6 But I lavish my love on those who love me and obey my commands, even for a thousand generations. 7 "Do not misuse the name of the LORD your God. The LORD will not let you go unpunished if you misuse his name. 8 "Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days a week are set apart for your daily duties and regular work, 10 but the seventh day is a day of rest dedicated to the LORD your God. On that day no one in your household may do any kind of work. This includes you, your sons and daughters, your male and female servants, your livestock, and any foreigners living among you. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens, the earth, the sea, and everything in them; then he rested on the seventh day. That is why the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and set it apart as holy.

12 "Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the LORD your God will give you. 13 "Do not murder. 14 "Do not commit adultery. 15 "Do not steal. 16 "Do not testify falsely against your neighbor. 17 "Do not covet your neighbor's house. Do not covet your neighbor's wife, male or female servant, ox or donkey, or anything else your neighbor owns."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion