Prayer for enemies

I know its important to forgive those who've sinned against me, but i really don't think very often in terms of enemies. i don't know if anyone on this world is my enemy. although i have managed to irritate and annoy thousands in my brief life. some who might border on being classified as persecutors in my life only said mean things to me. i know i live in a tolerant society, so i'm not at much risk of being stoned for my beliefs. so i can only admire the concept that Jesus is making in Matthew 5
43 "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 But I
say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

As far as that v.48, i can only admire that concept too. Good thing i'm covered by the blood of Jesus. But Jesus seems to make God's forgiveness conditional in Matthew 6
14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,  15 but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

I never want to be out of the Father's forgiveness since i'm such a profuse sinner. when i conceived this topic for posting i really couldn't think of anyone i was holding a grudge against. don't pat me on my back, its just not one of my issues.

At Matthew 18 we learn
21 Then Peter came up and said to him, "Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?"  22 Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven...
33 And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?'  34 And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt.  35 So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."

Obviously, this forgiveness thing is important to Father. If the kids aren't resembling Him in this way they probably aren't His. Jesus's point is, I'm dying in order for you to be forgiven, all you gotta do is forgive the few sins you are holding against others. what's the big deal?

Mark 11:25 And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses."

Now Jesus is tying back into prayer saying, when you come to chat with Dad, leave your unforgiveness at the door and don't pick it up on your way back out. then he sets the example for us when he's on the cross.

Luke 23:34 And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." And they cast lots to divide his garments.

He's forgiving them without waiting for any contrition. It only takes one to forgive. and he did it in prayer with Dad.

Colossians 3
12 Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience,  13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.  14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why did Peter put his coat on before jumping in the water? John 21:7

christians should be the biggest supporters of the trans community

The near sacrifice of Isaac and bad religion